The fall season is a good time to take measures to protect your home for the cold months to come. Here are several tips to help avoid loss to your property during the fall and winter:
Fall & Winter Tips
- Clean your gutters regularly to prevent clogging and potential water damage to your home.
- Have a tree expert remove dead or damaged branches or trees that could fall and damage your home or your neighbors’ property.
- As winter approaches, drain and turn off outdoor water to avoid freezing and water damage.
- If you have fuel delivery for your heating system, be sure to arrange automatic delivery to avoid running out of fuel.
- Have your heating system serviced and tested.
- Install systems that will help protect your home while you’re away such as a low temperature monitor, water leak detector and an automatic water shut-off valve.
- For secondary homes that will not be used during the winter, consider having a plumbing contractor drain the pipes and winterize your home.
- Review your homeowner and flood insurance policies so you are aware of your coverage limits and deductibles. Know your agent’s cell phone number in case you need to report a claim over the weekend.
If you have any questions about your personal insurance coverage please call me and I will be happy to advise you.